Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Old Timey Preservation Fun

Last year, my super-talented, beautiful friend, Coral, taught me how to prepare & can jam & I've been hooked ever since! We picked strawberries, raspberries, blueberries & blackberries, from various u-pick farms, which were either turned into jam or frozen for later. I then tried my hand at pickling: spicy green beans & jalapeƱos. Salty goodness. Finally, I canned some unsweetened (to make up for the GOBS of sugar in the jam) applesauce & pears that we'd picked around the neighborhood.

This year, us ladies (my sister, Coral & I) headed to our usual strawberry spot, Sauvie Island Farms & this is the result...


Well, that is PART of the result. I canned 25 pints of jam, in all, some in pint jars, some in half-pints. So fun! I'm looking forward to making a TON of applesauce, since it's one of the healthiest things to can, plus peaches & maybe some weird pickled things. Luckily, I got a shit-ton of cheap jar at Goodwill when I was visiting Mom. :)

It's so amazing to take a bite of toast, laden with floral, Summer-y jam, in the middle of Winter, especially if the bread is home-baked!



No comments:

Post a Comment