Friday, June 25, 2010

Spending Time in the Cool Kitchen

Taking advantage of the mild weather today, I got a chance to bake Ruben some dog treats that I've wanted to try, courtesy of Martha. I tweaked the recipe a bit, using all white whole wheat flour, halving the salt, and not basting them with chicken stock. They don't look as pretty as the ones on the website, but they passed the test & got gobbled up by the world's pickiest dog, ha ha. Good thing I made a double batch!


I also picked up a copy of Laurel's Kitchen at Goodwill recently, which brought back a flood of memories from my first job at a café/art gallery on the coast. One of my duties was to cook Sunday brunch (even though I was in high school, ha ha!), & we always used the recipe from Laurel's Kitchen for our tortillas, the base of the totally-from-scratch huevos rancheros. They're so, so good---I often eat them plain, or spread with refried beans. Simple, good food.


Since everything in the post is beige/tan, I better leave you with some flaming poppies that we saw on a walk. My favorite flower!


No comments:

Post a Comment