Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Delicious Cauliflower Soup!

Last night, I came home & decided to use the beautiful orange cauliflower I'd gotten last weekend.


I LOVE getting colorful fruits & veggies, especially ones we're not used to seeing that often. Since the cauliflower is orange, I thought Cheesy Cauliflower Soup would be perfect! I just winged it, & kept track of what I put into it. Try it sometime, if you need to use a head of cauliflower, or even a large head of broccoli.

The cauliflower lightens up when it's cooked, so Ethan thought I'd put corn in it. :) Sorry about the wonky lighting, but it was dark outside when the soup was done.


Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 of a medium onion, finely diced
  • 6 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 6 ounces Sharp Tillamook Cheddar, diced
  • salt & pepper to taste
Place the cauliflower in a medium pan; add about an inch of water to it & cover it with a lid. Steam cauliflower for 5-7 minutes, depending on size & how soft you like it; drain & set aside.

Meanwhile, in another medium pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions & saute until soft & translucent. I turned the heat down towards the end, because I didn't want the onions to brown. Once the onions are softened, add the flour, stirring often for several minutes (you want to cook the "raw" taste out of the flour, so the soup tastes just right!).

Add the water and whole milk (or just use 4 cups of 2% milk), stirring often until it thickens up. Remove from heat, stir in the cauliflower & cheese cubes. Stir gently until the cheese is melted. Season well with salt & pepper. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment