Monday, May 30, 2011

Hearty Hash Recipe

I plotted this out last night, because I had just the right combination of veggies & sausage for some heavenly hash. Along with the chipotle chorizo (from Viva Vegan!), I've recently made the chicken & Italian sausages from Vegan Diner. So, so good. My freezer is full of assorted veggie sausages, what could be better?!

This "recipe" is pretty loose. Use whatever veggies you have on hand, and if you can make it without using so many pans, go for it. I just wanted everything cooking at once, but didn't want watery sausage, so I kept things separate till the end...


Hearty Hash w/Chipotle Chorizo
  • olive oil for sauteeing
  • 7 small potatoes, cubed (I peeled mine, since they were sprouting)
  • 1 chipotle chorizo, chopped
  • 15 cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 a medium sweet onion, diced
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • shredded pepper jack, sour cream, & hot sauce (optional)
Preheat oven to 400*F. In a large cast iron pan, toss the potatoes with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake for 35-45 minutes, stirring them halfway through cooking time.

Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, saute the chorizo in a tablespoon of olive oil until golden on most sides. (I recommend a little hotter than medium-low, and make sure to stir them often.)


In a large frying pan over medium heat, saute the mushrooms till they're golden; place them in a separate bowl & set aside.


Using the same pan you used for the 'shrooms, saute the onions & peppers till tender, but not mushy (I didn't need to add more olive oil, but you can).

By the time all the components are sauteed, the potatoes should be just about ready. Take them out of the oven & dump everything over the potatoes. Season them well with salt & pepper, & give them a good toss. Serve with cheese, sour cream, & hot sauce, or whatever you like. Ketchup would be good too! Enjoy!

*****************************************

I hit the crafty mother-lode at Goodwill the other night. Someone must have been ovah their beading hobby, because there were probably 60 tubes of seed beads, all 99 cents each. I limited myself to 20 tubes (a couple aren't pictured, because I forgot to grab the 2 that were in my bag), so now I've got to put them to good use!

No comments:

Post a Comment